Saturday, October 12, 2013

Liam's Birth Story

He's here!

7lb. 6oz., 20 in.

Liam,

I want to remember the events of the day you were born.  The day that your daddy and I, forever, became a family of three and parents.  It was an amazing, intense, and overly surreal moment.  You arrived swiftly and definitely on your own schedule.

I had been off work for a week, I just couldn't work anymore.  You were sitting low, and causing me a lot of uncomfortable pain.  Wednesday, of that week, mommy had her baby shower at work.  So many people are excited to meet you- you are the first *new* boy on campus.  It was good to see everyone.  On Thursday, mommy went to daddy's work because they were throwing a baby shower for him. It was a lot of fun, and the women daddy works with can hardly wait to meet you.  You're so spoiled and so loved by people who aren't even family.  We've been so blessed.

On Friday, your birth day, I woke up and daddy went to work like normal.  I was supposed to go see your grandma for the day, but I wasn't feeling very good- my stomach was upset (I thought it was from the OJ I had drank with breakfast).  I spent the majority of the day on the couch, sleeping.  I would feel a contraction here and there, but thought they were just Braxton-Hicks-- we learned later on they weren't.  I decided to clean a little bit, call it nesting (I think, it was in part boredom)- I cleaned the pantry and organized your room.  It kept me busy and made me happy.  

At 5:45, mommy was getting ready to sit down to dinner with Grandma Sue and Grandpa Paul, daddy was supposed to be home any minute.  I got up to use the restroom, and UH-OH! my water broke in a fury.  Not having ever felt that before I didn't know if that's what I had really felt.  I figured it out pretty quickly though with the help of "Uncle" Paul and Jenn.  When daddy walked in, I told him what had happened.  Daddy ate dinner, while I called the doctor. 

The hospital I was supposed to deliver at told me they were full and didn't have a space for me that night.  While they were busy trying to find a bed for me, at a different hospital, my labor got intense very quickly.  By 6:05, I was in the throws of contractions and pain.  Each contraction caused me to lose a little more fluid, and hurt a little bit more.  My contractions went from non-existant to lasting one minute every other minute.  It was hard and took until around 7 for Kaiser to find me a bed at the Redwood City hospital.  Daddy and I left as quickly as we could, and made the long drive to Kaiser. It was long and painful.  Once we got to the hospital and started to settle into the bed, they checked mommy and then told her the most shocking fact- I was already 10 centimeters dilated and you were at stage 1.  Meaning? In just two short hours I had gone from feeling fine to ready to help you make your debut.  Mommy pushed and pushed for 45 minutes and daddy rubbed my head and my back and offered the most supportive words of encouragement.  I begged the doctor for a do-over, asking if I could change my mind... Silly- you were already half way here.  

At 9:19p.m., there you were!  They put you on my chest and I was in complete shock, you were here! Daddy cut the cord, and we just sat there in amazement at the most amazing miracle that had just occurred.  We laid in the delivery room for about two hours while Grandmas, Grandpas, and Uncle Zeke and Aunt Sara came into visit and meet you.  

So there you have it.  Your journey into this world, it was intense and quick.  We are so happy to have you hear now!

Love you gummy bear,
Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment